Post a reply

Re: Vindictive Recollections (Rewritten)

POSTED: 06 Jan 2013

• Date and Time: September 15th, 1934. 8pm.
  • Setting: Outskirts of the Djed camp.
  • Weather Conditions:  Slightly cool but no breeze.
Three days.

It had been three days; three days since Evelyn had last seen her family, and three days since she'd been held captive. Evelyn wasn't too thrilled at this, either—she was still uninformed about her family's wellbeing since Hamunaptra, and she was surprised that neither Rick nor Ardeth had sent a rescue party yet.

Evelyn just couldn't understand why. When she was kidnapped during their previous adventures, Rick came to her rescue immediately. Why did this change? As she promenaded the Djed camp after sneaking out of her tent unaccompanied by a guard, Evelyn's worry for her family's wellbeing increased tenfold as she contemplated. She didn't like this, not one little bit. Something had to have happened to them—that was the only logical explanation!

When she neared the outskirts of the camp, Evelyn looked into the Sahara, briefly wondering if she should take her moment of freedom as an opportunity to leave. Unfortunately, her logical mind thought against it, realizing that she didn't even have an escape plan or the directions to the Bey camp of the Medjai. Worst yet, she didn't even have Sitre as her means of transportation. Unless she wanted to brave the dangers of stealing a horse, water and food from the Djed, she was trapped.

As she kept walking, Evelyn spotted a familiar figure from afar. She found herself filled with a mixture of emotions, panting and uncertain of what to do. How was this possible? Just a year ago, Evelyn witnessed Imhotep commit suicide after Anck-su-namun's betrayal. Did she escape Ahm Shere? No…she couldn't have, because as Evelyn slowly walked involuntarily forward, she noticed her hair resembled her past life more than her reincarnation's.

"Anck-su-namun?" Evelyn inquired in Ancient Egyptian, praying to God that it was only her imagination.

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar

POSTED: 08 Jan 2013

Anck-Su-Namun was restless. She'd been restless ever since she had been dragged back into this body; it seemed death would be no sweet release for her.

She had spent much of the time since she had been brought back lost in memories. Her own, and those of Meela Nais. It held a sick fascination, the bonding of their lives and souls. She remembered growing up twicefold, a father who spoiled her and one who used her, both jumbled in her head. She felt herself being broken twice over, once in her king's bed, once in the modern world as cultists chanted around her. Meela Nais. Not for the first time, not for the last, Anck-Su-Namun questioned what had driven her to run from her love. Was it the dead woman who's life she now shared? Had her personality, her sickness, leaked into Anck's heart? What were her emotions and what were her reincarnates?

The uncertainty made her sick. Self loathing and self doubt coiled around her heart.

Did she not love him?

The question taunted her, barbed her. Did she not love him? Had her sacrifice over Seti's body been selfishness, a way of escaping trial and condemnation? Was every whisper, every caress, every look she had ever given him a lie? Was she truly so worthless, so empty?

She had asked herself these questions each day as she sat under the burning desert sun, staring away into nothing. She avoided Imhotep carefully. She couldn't imagine facing him, not until she was certain. Not until she could answer the questions that he would ask her. He always saw through her lies. She needed to know the truth before she faced him.

She paced around the camp this night as she had done every night before, trying to force the image of her betrayal out of her mind. Imhotep. With every step she thought of him, and the man Sutekh. Seti's reincarnation.

When someone spoke her name quietly behind her she span around, keeping her hands lightly to her sides but acutely aware of the dagger she kept around her waist. She dressed like a Djed woman but armed herself like a Djed man. She was still a formidable fighter, still trained in the arts of pleasure and death. And though here she had no mark, no person to guard, still old habits died hard.

Here in the midst of the Djed, it did not do for a woman to be seen as eager to fight. She learned not to be too quick on the draw, lest she find herself shorter by a head.

As her eyes picked out Evelyn in the gloom, they widened, but only slightly. Of course she would be here, this woman. It seemed their paths were destined to cross, time and again

"Evelyn O'Connell," she answered, moving towards the Egyptologist. "You are the prisoner, then, the Djed caught and dragged back here." She appraised Evelyn, dark eyes roving over the woman's form. One side of her mouth quirked in a half smile. "Where is that thrice damned husband of yours? Or does he no longer have any wish to save you?"
Ancient

POSTED: 09 Jan 2013

So it was her.

"I'm impressed Anck-su-namun," Evelyn said, granting her a smile, "that you know my name…and that you aren't addressing me as Nefertiri." When Anck-su-namun commented on how the Djed captured her, Evelyn wasn't quite sure on what happened. The last thing she had recalled was a vision of Nefertiri and waking up in Sutekh's tent, agreeing to his terms to act as a 'proper guest'. Even when she inquired about what happened, she still remained uninformed.

"I wouldn't necessarily say that my capture was fairly fought," Evelyn said, shrugging. "We both know what it's like to be overtaken by visions of our other halves, do we not?"

"Do not ever talk poorly about my husband when you have no room to talk! Unlike you, I have faith in my husband." Evelyn glowered, reminiscing about Ahm Shere. That was the only time that she and Rick had felt sympathetic for Imhotep. Did he not suffer enough for three thousand years to only lose his beloved? Death was cruel, Evelyn knew, but so was being cursed for eternity…unable to gain your desire.

But wait...why hadn't she realized this sooner? If Anck-su-namun was here, then Imhotep had to be here too. Suddenly, Evelyn inwardly felt terrified, refusing to let her fear overtake her outwardly. Why was she of all people here, in the same possible campsite as Imhotep? Did the Djed not know what happened at Ahm Shere? What was the extent of their knowledge of the Medjai's battles?

"Why are you here?" Evelyn asked carefully, mindful of what was around her waist.

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar

POSTED: 12 Jan 2013

Anck smirked. "Nefertiri is endlessly more graceful and poised, Evelyn O'Connell." She rolled her head back and observed Evy from under her eyelashes. "And if you were she, things would be rather more..." she sneered, "even."

She hissed at Evy's next words, taking a step forwards. "I should cut out that tongue of yours now, save Marenaser the bother." Did she not love him? She ignored the question, instead choosing to channel her self loathing into fury aimed at Evy.

"Do not ask me why I'm here, you laughable child," she snapped, moving closer, "It does not matter, and it shall not matter, for when I am done with you the Gods themselves will struggle to name which part is your heart and which is your lung." As she hissed, she lunged forward and aimed a kick at Evy's middle, seeking to throw her to the ground.
Ancient

POSTED: 18 Jan 2013

Evelyn did not retort to Anck-su-namun's insult, merely arching a brow. "It seems as though you've forgotten…that we were evenly matched at Ahm Shere." Evelyn still couldn't believe it herself, that when she had resurrected by her son, that her past life's prowess of sword fighting flowed within her.

When Evelyn heard her hiss, she instinctively took a step back. "I know who he truly is," Evelyn retorted, hoping that if her intuition was correct, and that she could convince him otherwise. Unfortunately, Evelyn also had her doubts, having realized that she was in enemy territory a long time ago.

When she began to notice Anck-su-namun moving closer, Evelyn stepped back even more, finally wishing that she had not left the safety of her tent without her guard. Regardless of whether or not she could hold her own against Anck-su-namun, she had no weapon, and that's what Evelyn feared the most.

As much as she wanted to retort back to Anck-su-namun's remark, she knew that she was in no position to do so. When she saw her lunging forward to kick her abdomen, Evelyn quickly moved sideways to get out of range of her leg. She then jumped back, attempting to distance herself.

"Drop your weapon!" Evelyn rasped, "If you want to fight me in public like this, then have enough courtesy to fight me evenly!"

( OOC: Let me know if I should edit my post in case the dodge didn't make sense? )

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar

POSTED: 21 Jan 2013

Anck-su-namun predicted the dodge, converting her side swipe into a forward lunge, but distracted by the revelation that Evelyn knew who Sutekh was, she over-compensated and tilted the side, almost losing her balance entirely.

This woman baited her, laughed at her. Now she brought up Seti's spectre, and taunted Anck with him. Before Anck had been merely irritated. Now the flames of fury flicked up her spine, though her face remained as impassive as ever. She converted the lunge into an elegant gliding swivel, turning to face Evelyn.

When Evelyn demanded she drop her weapon, Anck-su-namun merely smiled. "This?" she asked, stepping sideways to circle into Evelyn slowly, drawing the blade with almost tender care. The metal glittered in the fires that marked the boundary of the Djed encampment. Anck sank into an easy attack stance, and brought the blade up. Then she smiled.

"You know I can throttle that pretty throat as well as I can slit it open," she said thoughtfully, "But if you prefer it more personal," her grin widened, "if you long for my touch, well. That I can do. You know I'm... talented with my hands." She tossed the blade to one side, and it arced lazily through the air before landing somewhere unseen beyond the boundary, buried in the sand. "You know I always suspected Nefertiri was jealous," she said offhandedly, shifting her stance, "but I never considered that it was of Seti."

As fast as an asp, she struck, whirling around and feinting to her right, aiming to drive her left elbow deep into the other woman's gut. At the same time she shifted her weight onto the balls of her feet, pushing herself forward and allowing her momentum to spin her around so she would end up behind Evelyn.
Ancient

POSTED: 28 Jan 2013

When Evelyn noticed that Anck-su-namun was surprised by Evelyn's revelation, she was taken aback. Did she know?

Evelyn felt herself being overtaken by many emotions, her chest pounding. If she had known, then…why? Why was he still alive? Were they just waving him in front of her and would kill him when the time was right? Or was her assumption wrong and she was merely testing her?

Get a hold of yourself, girl. It's an assumption—a ridiculous assumption! Why on Earth would Pharaoh Seti I's reincarnation be an enemy of the Medjai? Evelyn thought to herself, unconsciously clutching her fist. When Evelyn saw Anck-su-namun convert her lunge, Evelyn bean to back away, scurrying, but her eyes would not stray from Anck-su-namun.

She came to an abrupt halt when she saw Anck-su-namun draw and drop the blade. Evelyn felt herself becoming inwardly furious with Anck-su-namun's taunts, but she would attempt to remain impassive. If there was anyone that Evelyn would yearn for, it was Rick's touch, his embrace—just seeing him would have even sufficed.

Was this how she felt every time she sparred against this woman? Evelyn thought to herself, reminiscing about Nefertiri.

"Why would Nefertiri be jealous because of our father's love for you?" Evelyn scoffed, shrugging. "I think you're giving yourself too much credit, so much that you're mistaking contempt for jealousy. Perhaps being deceased for nearly three thousand years has fogged your memory, Anck-su-namun?"

Evelyn's eyes suddenly widened when she saw Anck-su-namun's surprise attack, and she grimaced when Anck-su-namun hit her, swearing in English under her breath. When she saw that Anck-su-namun was no longer in front of her, she quickly swung around—grimacing still—and attempted to punch Anck-su-namun in the face with force.

( Apologies for the late reply. D: Let me know if there's anything wrong and I can edit. )

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar