Post a reply

(Traveling) Lessons Never Learned

POSTED: 04 May 2013

As Evelyn thought about it, perhaps her accusation was silly. But then how could she be absolutely certain that it wasn't a newly form of acquired rebelliousness from his young adult form? In some ways, he was a lot like his father, but in more ways like herself.

"Fine, let's say I believe you—have you tried scrubbing it out really hard when you bathe?" Perhaps the ink on his back wasn't permanent and washable, Evelyn wondered.

"How can anything unknown be a good thing?" Evelyn retorted. "It just proves my point that you need to be more careful—we don't know the consequences of whatever might have it…" Evelyn paused. Whatever had it in for him, was it a friend or foe? Her concern for her son's safety increased tenfold.

"Regardless, is there anything else that you can recall that you experienced? Alex, this is important. And who found you, by the way?"

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar

POSTED: 07 May 2013

"Um...not yet?" Alex said in a confused tone. His mom really didn't want him getting a tattoo, did she? He was pretty sure it was stuck on, but his mom seemed dead set on figuring out how to get rid of it, while Alex wasn't even sure it was ink. Good thing it was easily hidden.

"Well if we knew it was some evil mark of death, then it would be a bad thing, so by that logic not knowing is a lot better!" He said cheerfully, though his smile dropped when he realized it did not comfort his mother at all. "I'm sure its not that...probably just a product of the curse." He scratched the back of his neck and looked away, feeling a bit sheepish.

"I don't know, mom." Alex sighed. It had all happened pretty quickly and been very confusing. "Well first I was alone, and the spot where I got this mark hurt, then there was that woman-you know, Tuya? She's actually quite nice. Then we almost got crushed by a falling slab, then dad found us...then we left to find you." Alex recalled easily, as if he was reciting a recipe from a cook book or a lesson on chemistry. "There really isn't more. Sorry if that isn't helpful..." It probably would be easier if he could remember something else, but there just wasn't that much to remember.
Civilian

POSTED: 08 May 2013

Evelyn frowned at his response. "And whyever not? You don't…like it, do you?" She hoped not.

"Ignorance is never bliss, Alex. Not in situations like this!" Evelyn scolded, shaking her head disappointedly at her son. "Whatever it is, we'll probably find out more about it as we figure out that…riddle of yours."

"Tuya?" Evelyn inquired, baffled by the name of her son's 'savior'. "Are you sure you didn't just hit your head really hard, Alex? That's the name of Pharaoh Seti I's wife—I'm sure that I told you that, didn't I? A name like that hasn't been used for thousands of years. Already you're claiming to have been visited by a bird."

Evelyn's concern for her son was increasing as he unraveled information, but when he mentioned Rick, Evelyn was surprised. If he was here, she would have left to confirm her son's story with him. She briefly wondered if the Medjai would have been able to confirm Alex's story too, but she tried to avoid them while Rick wasn't around.

"But if she is real, I'm thankful that she did find you, and I owe her a lot that she kept you safe until your father found the both of you. Does your tattoo still hurt?"

[Show] OOC Comment
On a note, I wasn't sure if Evy's little 'history lesson' on who Tuya was is pushing boundaries on EE stuff. I figured it's okay since Evy technically doesn't *remember* Tuya at the moment, though.

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar

Alex chewed the inside of his lip and glanced down at the floor, a sure sign of his guilt. "I don't know." He says, avoiding looking at his mother. Since it was there already, why not keep it? It did have a certain element of danger and intrigue to it... "It's hard to get to is all." He frowned, a slight hard edge coming to his voice. He was tired of being grilled for something that he hadn't even had a say in.

"Yes, mum." Alex says obediently, like a student putting facts into memory. Riddle of yours. Like he'd gone out looking for this.

"You sure you didn't hit yours?" He snapped at his mother before he could stop himself. Before the sentence was over he knew he was in for a scolding, but she was questioning everything he said, like he'd lie after this. It was pretty obvious something beyond Alex's own brand of mischief had happened. "More than one person can have the same name, mum! And I said I thought I saw a bird, it was a dream after a fairly traumatic event. It very well could have been a vision, you know. I really think we need to open our minds to the superstitious here, I am after all a full decade or so older despite being nine just weeks ago. That doesn't happen without some kind of abnormal interference...magic type junk!" And she thought someone with an old fashioned name was odd.

Alex pushed himself up and strode across the room. It was very frustrating how far they were from answers, and his mother nit-picking him certainly didn't help. He crossed his arms over his chest and frowned deeply.

"No. It's fine. Everything is fine, mother. Really."
Civilian

Evelyn's frown thickened when she saw her son's body language. She felt terrible, especially when she wasn't absolutely certain if things would ever be fixed. Was it justified to give him what could have been false hope? Evelyn wasn't sure.

At Alex's retort, Evelyn didn't know how to respond to that, and perhaps her own silence was clear sign of that. Her memory was rather foggy and coupled with various blackouts, but Alex didn't need to know that. Quickly, she changed the subject, "All I'm saying is Alex, is that name is Ancient Egyptian. Most Ancient Egyptian names haven't been used for thousands of years, and even the Medjai have become modernized and use Arabic names. I've lived in Egypt nearly all my life, and I've yet to encounter someone with an Ancient Egyptian name. It's just peculiar, that's all."

"Alex!" Evelyn retorted, surprised at his outburst. Of course she knew it was traumatic, Evelyn was still having difficulty coping with just looking at him. She loathed the idea that her son's childhood was ripped from him right from underneath their noses, without them even being informed. But she tried to act like nothing was wrong, that he wasn't a stranger, and that was difficult on its own especially without Rick's support. Even hearing 'mum' coming from his lips felt so foreign to her, and she was surprised that she hadn't been caught off-guard.

"Look, Alex," Evelyn got up from the bed, walking over to him as she placed her hands on his shoulders as she said softly, "It's not that I don't believe you, because your current appearance is valid proof of everything. It's just that…all of this, it's difficult to absorb, especially without your father. I'm under a lot of pressure and half of the time when it comes to the Medjai, I simply don't know what to believe."

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar

POSTED: 14 May 2013

He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. He wanted to be on an adventure, he wanted the excitement and danger, and he had no doubt he could handle it, but his mother was acting like he was just some defenselessness child! He could look out for himself, he'd done quite well when he'd been kidnapped by Imhotep and his worshipers a year ago. Now that he was bigger, more able to protect himself, there was no telling what he was capable of. He just wished his mother could see that to, instead of just wishing he was small and helpless...

"Alright." He said, trying to force a smile and sound supportive. He was supposed to be something of a gentleman, wasn't he? If his father wasn't here to look after his mother, Alex would have to do it, wouldn't he? It was only the proper thing to do. "I'm...I'm sorry I lost my temper." He said, tilting his head towards his shoulder as he dug his toe in the ground. "But..that's what I think her name was. I don't really remember much else than that. Can we...can we just stop talking about it for a while?" They didn't seem to be making any headway on the riddle anyways.

He leaned forward to hug his mother, though the odd per-portions made him flinch. It struck Alex then at how strange it felt to be larger than his own mother, and after only a brief embrace he stepped back. "Um..I haven't eaten." He said, trying to redirect conversation. "Perhaps I should...find where dinner is at." He suggested, somewhat lamely.
Civilian

POSTED: 15 May 2013

"It's alright, Alex," Evelyn reassured him. As she contemplated on it, his reaction wasn't too out of line—it was just surprising. All of this fuss over some woman? Evelyn wondered if he might have developed some boyhood crush, but she wouldn't ask.

"But fine…we'll stop talking about it, but when we find your father expect the subject to be brought up again. I'm sure he's just as curious as to what's going on."

"Oh? Well then, how about we go grab my handbag from my quarters and we'll get something to eat?" Evelyn offered after the embrace. Before they left Cairo, Evelyn was rather thankful that she was able to pick up a few things from the Carnahan home in preparation for their journey to Ireland while she made arrangements for their trip. But as she contemplated on it, she did forget a few important things: her spare archaeology kit, an umbrella, and she hardly had the time to pack some spare clothes. Perhaps it would have saved some future expenses if she had.

"Also Alex, just a brief warning...my employee…do you remember Miss Gabrielle Chenault—she's one of the linguists at the Museum? Well, she'll be arriving in Ireland shortly after us. I asked her to bring some documents on the amulets and to assist us, too. She…doesn't know anything about this yet, nor you." She informed him, carefully choosing her words. "When we talk with your father about this…you need to have an open mind on how we're going to address you and how you're going to address us while she is around. I'm not sure if she's staying with us throughout our expedition, but if she does, we'll inform her about it. Alright?"

34 years old
English Egyptian
English
Christianity

Egyptologist

Vicky
196 posts
Scholar